Thursday, 24 October 2013

Chillin' Out!

Hi and welcome. We've had a little relief from the hot, dry conditions here,with some mizzly, welcome rain. In other areas of NSW bushfires are lessening  which is great news for all of those involved in the firefighting efforts.
As well as completing layouts for some challenges I've been experimenting with some ideas for a girl's group (10 -  12 yr olds) who meet in their lunch hour once a week for various activities. I've been asked to do a Christmas activity with them and apart for what I've already planned (will show you when completed), I would  like to also come up with a small, quickly-made gift they could make. If anyone has any ideas, could you share?
Today's layout is showing photos of a tawny frogmouth taken in early January, 2010. It was a particularly hot day with temps in the mid 30's (degrees C), and no breeze whatsoever. To get some relief from the heat, this tawny (and there were 2 others  in the tree)  sprawled out on a branch  (the tree is in my front garden), with its wings on either side. It just seemed to be balanced there. It mustn't have been too uncomfortable, because it remained in this position for at least half an hour. I was lucky to get photos of it as it was spreading its wings to get cooler. I love the look on the tawny's face... it reminds me of  'Animal' from the  Muppets.

The challenge at ARTastic this month is to use wood &/ or feathers. Pop on over to   to see what the inspirational art work is, and what the fabulous Design Team have come up with.

I've had the paper in my stash for some time. The edges of the tree and owl paper were moistened before distressing and rolling.  I also used gesso over a stencil and while damp, sprayed it with green  and chocolate dylusions sprays...... what a surprise to find when the leaves dried that the ones sprayed with chocolate colour  had turned ... PINK!!! ... not the colour I wanted. Back went the stencil and a good layer of 3D Stamping Paint added. The wooden feathers were sprayed with chocolate coloured dylusions and wrapped with twine to resemble the tawny feathers. Thickers in the title were painted with liquid pearls.
Thank you for visiting and for leaving your positive comments.

Saturday, 19 October 2013

ENCHANTED GLADE (with Zentangles)

Hi and welcome. It seems like ages since my last post, but I am still having a bit of a nerve problem in my hand, so some activities are limited. However, I have had a couple of fabulous playdays/ classes with friend Julie at: It was great to get back together with friends to create some amazing pieces.
This layout is for the current challenge at ABAC, where the criteria is for orange or orange and  black.  Pop on over to    to see what the DT members have done for this.
I've gone for a fantasy theme. The background was doodled first, creating the glade. Some newly purchased Chocolate Baroque stamps (lovin' these!) were used for some extra detail.

The whole background was then smooshed with Distress Inks (Wild Honey, Dried Marigold, Spiced Marmalade and Ripe Persimmon). After attaching the photo and adding die cut flowers (again from smooshed and inked paper) I highlighted some sections with 3D Stamping Paint (blue and copper) to give a bit of sheen.


            Some close-ups of the layout... trying to show the effect of added 3D paint, and stamping.

I have used the fairy composition in the photo before, in a different setting and colour. She is a favourite of mine and may appear again sometime in the future, with some changes. I rather enjoy making different scenarios for her.
Thank you for visiting. It's always a pleasure to read comments that are left.
Cheers, Di

Wednesday, 2 October 2013


Hi and welcome. Today I'm sharing my take on the October Challenge for Pixels and Paper where the inspiration was candles. Maybe you think of celebrations, light and shadows, colours seen in the photo, or the number 11 (there being 11 candles).

This is a great photo to take inspiration from. Pop over to Pixels and Paper at:  to see what the design team has been up to.
I've chosen to go with the birthday theme, but have also used some of the colours that can be seen in the inspiration photo.
The photos I've used are of my son's 4th birthday afternoon tea party, with his Nan and Pop. he had 2 cakes, one made by Nan (chocolate and cherries) and one made by me (taken straight from the Australian Woman's Weekly Birthday Cake Book), decorated in the form of a clock face. So, 2 lots of candles to blow out and 2 cakes to cut! Cherries were a particular favourite of my son's at this time, and many escaped to his plate before the cake was cut!

I didn't do too  much with the background cardstock; just some stamped balloons and sentiments,  as it was great the way it came. Since it was a birthday I just ran a couple of lengths of washi tape down and across the page, to make it look like a ribbon around a present.
The photos were double mounted, and glitter quilling paper was used to wrap the mounting cardstock sheets, as well as forming the Number 4 on the candle. The candle was cut from one of my stencilling experiments, involving acrylics and distress inks. The flame  was cut from acetate packaging, and alcohol inked. Outsides of the various elements were swiped with 3D Stamping Ink for a bit of extra glitter.
Thank you for visiting and I would love to see your work at this month's challenge.
Cheers, Di