Monday, 28 March 2016


Hi! Challenges can get one working out of a comfort zone and this month's challenge at Archi-scraps has done this for me. I don't normally work with yellow, but have used this, together with the criteria of using gesso or some form of modelling paste to create a background.

Normally I would have used this photo with possibly a black background , but have taken the opportunity to highlight the bits of yellow foliage in the garden. This has also allowed other colours in the photo to pop. Three different stencils were used. To complete the layout I used flowers diecut and layered up, fibre and a wisp of mulberry bark. Some added pieces were the hexagon shapes left over from a diecut lattice.
Journalling on the reverse side reads: The photo was taken by Dan at the Hobart Botanical gardens in May 2009. This is part of the beautiful Japanese garden planned with Hobart's sister city in Japan. It is a gorgeous, serene garden room with beautiful pockets of trees and flowering shrubs all set off with a little lake and small cascades of water.

Pop on over to:archiscraps and check out what their team has done with this awesome inspiration photo.

Catch you again soon,
Cheers, Di

Monday, 21 March 2016


Hi and welcome! At the moment I'm having heaps of fun experimenting with different mediums to make background papers, some of which I've used to create the layout for this month's ARTastic challenge. The added criteria was to use wood veneer.

The background was part of a paper created in a class held at timetocreate last month. On this we sponged paper soft- colour, through different-sized stencils. This paper soft is a wonderful product which gives fabulous effects. The shapes made were stamped. In the white sections remaining I added some of my tangled patterns with a black sharpie. I also used green, purple, copper and gold sharpies to some sections of the design.
The leaves were made from another piece of background paper I had made last year, using a distress ink smooshed tissue paper glued onto cardstock. This was then stamped with distress and archival inks.
To go with the quirky inspiration art piece, I used a photo of a tawny family from a few years ago. The youngster was definitely AD/HD and stayed awake quite  few hours during the day when it (and parents) should have been sleeping. This was just one of the photos we were able to capture of its antics!

The wood veneer came into play with the speech bubbles, title, butterflies, leaves and owl.
To complete the piece I added some fibres.

Pop on over to artasticchallengeblog to check out what the team has done with this amazing artwork.
Thank you for coming by. Catch you again soon.
Cheers, Di

Sunday, 6 March 2016


Hi and welcome! this month's challenge at pixels and paper is all about monochrome.
My layout has been done in tones of brown including deep creams.

 The photo is of some gorgeous stalactite formations in the Hastings Caves, Tasmania. These have been called Angel's Wings and certainly do look like wings. Stamping, stencilling and edging have been done with Distress Inks: Ground Espresso. I've also used diecuts, chippie embellishments (heat embossed) and gauze. One of the papers in the piece is actually a piece from a wallpaper sample.
The inspiration photo makes one think of yummy indulgences.
Pop on over to: pixelsandpaper and check out what the rest of the team has come up with for this challenge. Remember you don't have to use the colours pictured. You can choose any colour providing the colours used are in the same tone and hue range as each other.
Catch you again soon.
Cheers, Di