This month at the ARTastic challenge has been distressing!! and my DT piece for this has certainly been distressed.
My piece started off as inside packaging from a box. The corrugated cardboard was already framed and recessed, making the perfect surface to work the distressing on.
The frame was torn to various depths to show underneath layers. Some bits were rolled and others left partially raised to give an old wood/peeling paint effect.
The whole surface was sprayed with Baseboard and Chalkboard mists with additional layers of colours from Distress Stains and Inks. Gesso was used for the stencilled leaves while the undersurface was still damp.. love the effect that this gives!
The photo I used was from an oil painting given to me by my mum. This was by an artist / teacher, Ken Harris. Mum took up painting classes with him when she was 70 and really enjoyed her new hobby until ill health prevented her from continuing when in her 80's.
This was mounted on a gelli plate print done with acrylic paints. This was still too bright for the effect I wanted, so it was also smooshed with Distress Inks.
Edges were torn, rolled and inked, with pieces of old manuscript music tucked into some of the gaps,
The original background I'd prepared didn't look right, so I used a piece of brown cardstock, dampened it with water and scrunched it up. When dry, it was inked and edges were torn for a more rustic look
More torn and inked music manuscript was placed around the frame
To this I added acetate leaves coloured with Vintaj and glass effect gels, die cut leaves, heavily scrunched and then shaped, and real gumnuts.
I really enjoyed this challenge and if you are tempted to join in, have a peep at our inspirational guide artwork at http://artasticchallengeblog.blogspot.com.au/ and while you're there have a look at the fabulous creations done by the rest of the team.
Thankyou for stopping by. Catch you soon.
Cheers, Di .