The piece started out as a Kaiser craft precut MDF bookend kit .
The board was gessoed before transforming. The base and end boards were daubed with Distress Stains, which were then brushed across the surfaces before they dried.
The butterflies were heat enamelled. The black line work was originally done with black Glossy Accents, but I found that these peeled off quite easily! Luckily I'd only completed one side of a butterfly before I discovered this. Lines were then drawn on using a permanent marker. Gold markings were done with a metallic acrylic paint.
Stamping was added, using StazOn. Letters on the end board were from a bought glitter board alphabet set. These were daubed with metallic Distress Stains. The butterfly embellishment found languishing in my stash was silver originally, but I coloured it with alcohol inks.
The whole piece was then constructed and glued with PVA. So now I have a set of bookends, functional and pretty at the same time. I was going to add more embellishments, but considered the purpose and have decided that I could use the flat surfaces as a display area for small knick-knacks, if I chose to do so.
gesso, Distress Stains: Peeled Paint, Bundled Sage, Brushed Pewter, Burnished Brass, Weathered Wood, Broken China; Opals Embossing Enamels: Banksia (soft gold), Macquarie (vibrant blue), Daintree (soft gold-green), Dove Lake (a deeper blue); StazOn: Midnight Blue; Alcohol Ink: Sailboat Blue; Peel-off Markers; Lumiere Paint: Sunset Gold; Darkroom Door Stamps: Discover; Stamping Up Stamps: Just Believe.
Now, time to reorganise some space so I can use my new craft additions. Thank you for visiting and thank you for leaving crafty comments. Cheers, Di