Saturday, 6 July 2013

A Messy Journey

Hi! Just getting this in before the deadline at: . This challenge (Number 22) certainly had me getting messy, sticky and inky! - some very interesting effects on my fingers!
I started by covering a piece of patterned card with Gel Medium. On this were placed punched flowers and other shapes, another layer of gel and a layer of tissue paper.

This was covered with gesso, spritzed with Dylusions Sprays and lightened with White Linen. When dry, a section was stencilled using 3D Stamping Paint. At this stage, I decided that I didn't really like the overall effect, so I added some more gesso over all of it (a thin layer) and when dry, smooched on Distress Inks, leaving a more subtle effect.

Various other pieces were prepared. This used the natural dyes from flowers and foliage: freshly picked, put between light card and rolled through the Cuttlebug:- very effective, but it can be rather messy because some plants are juicier than others. The rollers have to be cleaned as soon as you finish.

The stencil piece is a second generation stencilling. The original was quite bright (have kept it for something else). When gessoed it had been lightly spritzed with Dylusions. For the above, I flipped the stencil over and added just a little more gesso, drawing in any colour still left. I liked the effect it had of additional foliage in the background.


This is a piece of microfiche. The same stencil has been used, this time with the 3D Stamping paint.

The chipboard was smooshed with Distress Inks and then had Vintaj Patina brushed on to give more of an aged look.
The piece has a slightly textured finish and even though on card, still has a slightly metallic appearance.
Some stamping around the edges and a stamped film strip, have completed the front cover.
This cover and panelling are now the first part of "My Messy Journey" .... an art journal to hold information and samples of the messy experiments. Hopefully many pages will be added.
What I Used:
Distress Stains: Forest Moss, Peeled Paint, Shabby Shutters, Picket Fence (chipboard)
Vintaj Patina: Moss, Rust (chipboard)
3D Stamping Paint: turquoise, moss green, silver, blue ( large background, microfiche)
Dylusion Sprays: London Blue, Cut Grass, Lemon Zest, White linen ( background, stencilling)
Distress Inks: Mowed lawn, Forest Moss (background)
Archival Ink: Olive
Impasto Gel medium, Gesso
Thank you for visiting and for your encouraging comments.
Cheers, Di


  1. So beautiful artwork here.

    Have a lovely weekend, Diane

  2. Gosh Diane, you've put so much effort into each and every layer to create something beautiful and totally unique. Hugs, Jenny x

  3. What a great technique layering up those elements for your texture, and beautiful stencilling. Great make!
    Alison x

  4. Hi Diane, well it was worth your perseverance because you have created the most wonderful piece! Hugs, Anne x

  5. I love the frame around it. It is beautifully done. Thanks for playing along at ABAC.

  6. It sounds like you had so much fun with this, and it is wonderful! I can only imagine how terrific it is in person! So glad you joined us again at ABAC!