Saturday 31 August 2013

Old Schoolhouse

Hi! Welcome on a lovely sunny morning. I've been having heaps of fun, popping around to many challenge sites and seeing what is happening. There have been some stunningly, awesome arts of work created using techniques and combinations of techniques that I'm itching to try myself.  I love changing it up and trying new things so my forays into different challenges have been rewarding for me. Today I'm showing you my layout for Archiscraps: http://archiscraps.blogspot.com.au/ where the beautiful inspirational image was of a delightful stone brick house with window boxes full of flowers. The additional element was to be flowers.
I've chosen to  some of the colours from the image, mainly soft browns, pinks and mauves.

 
The photograph is of the old schoolhouse in Richmond, Tasmania. This was built in 1835. It is a lovely old building, surrounded by trees and gardens with annuals and perennials. At the time of our visit, there were only a few plants flowering. It would be lovely to revisit the garden when flowers were in bloom as I suspect that there was a wisteria in there which would have made a beautiful show in spring.
The background cardstock is from Coredinations Whitewash Collection. This was lightly sanded then smooshed with Distress Inks (Antique Linen and Weathered Wood). Stamping  of agapanthus flowers (I always think of  them as being a feature in cottage gardens) was done in archival. Because of the corrugated texture of the background card stock, these didn't print as cleanly, but I really liked the shadowy effect. Tattered Florals die was used for the flowers. The brown-toned large flower was made from squishing flowers and leaves, sandwiched between watercolour paper, through the cuttlebug and leaving to dry. This technique gives a beautiful paper that can be used for backgrounds as well as for die cuts. The remainder of the flowers were cut from a fairly fussy floral paper, that I've had for some time and hadn't found a use for (until now).
At a play day at my good friend Julie's: http://timetocreate-handmadetreasure.blogspot.com.au/  where we were shown how to use a melt pot and then had a fabulous time using it with different techniqes, we were introduced to the delights of free form melting. I absolutely fell in love with this. I loved the randomness and the extra 'unexpecteds' when you dropped in additional colours of embossing powders and stamped into the hot  piece. One of my free form pieces looked like a trellis scattered with flowers... just perfect for this layout.
 
 
 
I had fun doing this and hope to join in this challenge again.
 
Thank you for dropping by. Thank you once again for your lovely comments. Catch you again soon. Cheers, Di.
 
 


7 comments:

  1. What a stunning layout Diane. The photo is amazing in itself but you have enhanced it to perfection - I love your free form trellis, it looks fabulous. How I envy you a class with Julie....... Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Di you have made a beautiful layout there and just squeaked in on the closing time.
    (Be a little earlier next month if you can manage it.)Thanks for joining in on Archiscraps this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really beautiful. Great job and thanks for joining in at Archiscraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful Di - love the colour combinations you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo, wonderful cluster of flowers & leaves...an outstanding page. Thank you for playing along at Archi-scraps with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulation on winning with this fantastic layout. Hope you have fun playing with our flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful layout! Love the flower grouping. Thanks for joining us at Archi-scraps! :)

    ReplyDelete