Monday, 22 June 2015


Hi and welcome. Today, I'm showing a layout which was started over a year ago and finally completed... and a perfect one for this month's theme at Anything But a Card: Out and About.
This layout was started at a workshop at :timetocreate where Julie demonstrated a technique we were to use: spraying white card with metallic paints, swiping over sections with daubers and when dry, putting through an embossing folder.

The board I prepared was cut into different sized strips and put onto black cardstock. I also used an A4 card to tear and distress additional strips of black.. These were placed on the background and some sections were then versamarked through a stencil, and heat embossed... and that's where it was left.

It was left until fairly recently, when iIretrieved it from my UFO pile (getting smaller). I decided to add additional embossing over the black background, some through a stencil and some by just dropping onto the page and carefully heating from some distance, adding more powder as it started to melt. In this way I was able to get flicks of embossing that looked like sea spray on some sections.

I added die cut circles put through an embossing folder. inked with silver and also heat embossed with a fine embossing powder, then added the photos.
The photos were taken on our last trip to Tasmania on the beautiful north-east coastline at a charming village, Coles Bay. This bay overlooked the cliff area known as The Hazards.  This is an area we wish to return to and explore further.
There's still time to check out and maybe even enter this month's challenge, so why not pop on over to:anythingbutacard and check out what my teamies have done this  month.
Thank you for popping by and leaving some love.
Catch you all again soon.
Cheers, Di

Monday, 15 June 2015


Hi and welcome. My DT piece for ARTastic this month has been formatted around two photos taken of some rather unusual markings on  tree with the required additional criteria of wood veneer and/ or birds.
I see owls, one in flight and the other on a branch.

I wanted a quirky look to reflect that of our inspirational artwork this month., a painting by Luka Va called "Bird King".
To achieve this, apart from the photos, I smooshed some manilla card with Distress Inks directly from the pads ( fossilized amber, cracked pistachio, abandoned coral and mermaid lagoon) and then stamped with archival black. The stamp I used was a funky mushroom edging. I added wooden mushrooms, inked with some of the same colours and then glazed with Glossy Accents.

I also added some additional wooden birds which were treated the same way as the mushrooms. To the whole of the background I glued cut and broken pieces of timber veneer to give the whole, a rustic look. Timber veneer leaves were also added. 

 I cut some feather shapes from my leftover smooshing and stamped on the letters for the title. Some extra words from Darkroom Door completed the piece.

I wonder what you see in the photos. I know some of my teamies have seen different things. It would be a hoot to find out.
While you're here, why not pop on over to:artastic to see what the rest of the team has done. You will be amazed! We'd love for you to join in.
Catch you again soon. Thank you to  those who have left such encouraging  comments.
Cheers, Di

Wednesday, 3 June 2015


Hi and welcome. This month at Pixels and Paper our photo to inspire you features hot air balloons and quite an iconic Aussie structure... the windmill seen so often on farms and outback stations.

I've taken the idea of the balloons and the windmill and have created a layout without photos.

The balloons feature some of the colours from the inspiration photo and have been made in three different ways:- Iris Folding, Venetian Folding and the one in the centre at the bottom of the page, by gluing strips of paper to a balloon template. The lower edge of the paper has then been stamped  with trees and of course, a windmill. This stamping was also on top of the balloon to make it look as if it was rising behind the treeline.
The title "Soar" was cut from card which had been gessoed through a stencil then sprayed with Dylusions Ink while wet.

Pop on over to:pixelsandpaper and check out what the rest of the team has done. We'd also love to see your artwork here.
Catch you again soon.
Cheers. Di