Thursday, 20 June 2013

Recycling we shall go

Hi and welcome! I've had quite a busy week, including participating in a delightful class at Julie's at    on Sunday, where a group of us completed tribute layouts specifically designed to fit into a shadow box, because of the number of layers involved. I now only have to finish the frame and my memory piece will be ready for display.
Over at ARTastic,  there is a challenge, running until the end of the month, which involves recycling materials. The only things I haven't recycled are the brads, washi tape, inks and paints.
I started with a base from the back of a Tim Holtz cardstock pack.

On this I've added some strips of washi tape, before layering with corrugated cardboard from packaging. For some additional texture I've added some scraps of crumpled and misted glassine paper, which had been used for die-cut flowers on a previous layout. The framing on the photo are again left-over scraps.  Flowers were die cut from glossy ice-block packaging (alcohol inked), old book binding material (alcohol inked then painted with 3D stamping paint) and water colour paper. For the colours on this, I pressed flowers through a cuttlebug. This gave a gorgeous, soft blending of colours. The flourishes were left overs, and the fibre came from  a  bouquet of flowers. The stamping on the background were also done with recycled material; polystyrene packaging.
The photo is of  a giant Bird- of - Paradise (Strelitzia nicolai) which is growing in my garden..... much bigger than I expected, but providing an 'umbrella' for my gorgeous tawny frogmouth visitors, especially in wet or very hot conditions.
Thank you for visiting, and for your lovely comments. Cheers, Di

Tag with mini photo booklet

Hi and welcome! Our wintry days have finally arrived with sunny, but blustery, windy days. Whales have started to migrate to warmer waters, but so far haven't spotted any, even though we've had a couple of trips to various headlands nearby.
Challenge 21 at ABAC: has a focus on 'Masculine or Dear Ol' Dad'. For this I have made a large tag with a mini photo / affirmation booklet.

The tag was made from black card stock and has a grid of various patterned washi tapes on it. It was then painted with 3D Stamping paint (aqua, silver and blue) and stamped with Darkroom Door 'Sail Away' stamp set. I used the metallic silver StazOn for this.
The mini booklet was made from white card stock and smooshed with Distress Stains (Salty Ocean, Weathered Wood and Bundled Sage). The pages were stamped with Archival Ink  (cobalt blue and french ultramarine), again with the same stamp set. Photos of holidays to Tasmania, South Australia and Queensland were added.
Washi tape and 3D Stamping paint was added for additional texture. I have been enjoying carving jumbo erasers (very cool and super-easy to carve)  to make my own stamps and used one of these to add extra markings on the background.
A male member of the family has a birthday coming up soon, so this tag will soon wend its way to this particular person.
Thank you for visiting. Your comments are always greatly appreciated. Cheers, Di.

Friday, 7 June 2013

Rose Tag

Hi and welcome! Firstly thank you to the design team for choosing me as a feature artist for Challenge 19. This was a lovely and unexpected surprise.
Challenge 20 at ABAC;  has been exactly that:- a challenge in where to start!! The dusting off of old supplies has certainly been a good incentive to look in some drawers that haven't been foraged into for quite some time and I did find quite a few items (a lot with the 'what was I thinking of'! factor. Yes, there were a large number of stickers (which no longer self-adhere), some roses (made from very thin sheets of rubber, which had been an "I'll use those" purchase) AND!!!! a Tim Holtz mini mask which I'd forgotten I'd bought and until now, never used.
The tag I made started off as a piece of card stock with a thin layer of gesso applied to it. While wet, it was sprayed with Glimmer Mists (Walnut Gold, Coffee Shop and Suede). These were smooched together using a plastic bag (thanks Julie). Then it was sprinkled with perfect Pearls powder (Perfect Gold) and left to dry.
The mini mask was used as a stencil, and the flourish was made using 3D Stamping Paint in Moss green.

The stickers, roses and crushed velvet ribbon were added. In my stash I also found a chipboard word 'DREAM' which I broke up to add to the tag. A net and pearl bead dragonfly and some wool have completed the tag.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving comments.These make my day. Cheers, Di